When I first got in contact with the spirit world friends introduced me through the Spirit in the glass (Ouija). It was my very first tool for such contacts and it is also one that I have used extensively. Nowadays I have other tools that I rather use to make contact, but I still think that the Spirit of the glass has many strengths.
The tool is very simple. You need a glass, a large piece of paper, pens, a candle and friends. In its simplest form you draw circles for all letters of the alphabet, the numbers 0 to 9, a yes circle, a no circle and a start circle. Then you heat the glass, place it upside down on the start-circle, everyone places a finger on the glass and then you invite spirits to talk to you. If you manage to make a strong contact, the spirits will spell out answers with your help by moving the glass over the paper and stopping on certain circles.
A tool for contacting the spirit world
Spirit in the glass is without a doubt a tool for genuine spirit contacts, but it is also one that is surrounded by many strange ideas.
I think it is important to point out that the board, although it may seem very fancy and magical, is merely a tool. Like all tools it has strengths and weaknesses, it has merits and limitations. The tool itself is neither bad nor good. It just is. Our use of it may however be bad or good, respectful or disrespectful, loving or free of love. Choose to have a good intention and to do good.
Spirit in the glass is a tool for spirit contacts. If you do not seek such contacts you should not use the tool. If you want to have genuine contacts in a simple way I would however recommend Spirit in the glass, since it is safe, including and educational. Of course, one should be respectful and serious, but if one is so the risks are small.
Easy to understand and use. It requires no prior experience and most people can partake after a brief introduction.
Educational. Many reach a better understanding when they themselves are involved in channelling. Spirit in the glass is a good tool for practicing one’s ability to channel in other ways.
Including group activity. Everyone can participate and contribute. Compared with, for example, a group séance there will be less focus on one person and more on the group. It works well together with friends.
Slow. Other ways of channelling are significantly faster, but are also less educational, including and require specific skills/talents. The amount of information that comes through the glass is limited, but it is common that participants receive more through other channels.
Does not work for people who are shut off. People who are shut off to such experiences are usually not interested in channelling. If they are part of it, it usually manifests as problems in connecting or that the glass won’t move.
Contacts with the spirit world
One should approach the spiritual world with the same respect that you yourself would expect. For example I wouldn’t find it respectful to take such contacts when drunk, to ask silly questions or to treat it like a game. Be respectful and serious, but by all means do have a sense of humour.
I feel that it is ultimately the participants’ attitude and ability to work with the contact that determines how good it will be. There are those who are very ceremonial and sometimes quite theatrical when contacting the other side. When done properly it can help participants to find a common focus, but it is also possible to find focus in other ways, such as with a common goal for the contact.
The spirit world is populated by many types of entities and they often have their own agendas. An overwhelming majority of the spirits that I have been in contact with were pleasant and helpful. Only a few contacts have been pushy, manipulative or nasty. What you need to do when you attract one of those is to clearly say that it is not welcome, and to end the conversation.
Also, remember not to ask questions that you do not want to know the answer to.
Inviting the spirits
How you express yourself when inviting the spirits is important. If you open up by asking “Is anyone there?”, then anyone will answer. By being more specific you can avoid unpleasant experiences with spirits you don’t wish to have any contact with. Sometimes you have a specific person in mind, but you can also be more general in your invitation, such as “Is there anyone here that belongs to me?”.
A friend once compared the situation to a waiting room. All spirits who potentially want to talk to us are waiting there, good and bad. If you have a spirit contact that you trust, that spirit can act as a receptionist in the waiting room and only let good contacts pass. I often find however that our loved ones on the other side are so keen on talking to us that bad energies rarely get through.
If you are afraid of contacts with the other side, if you think that such things are frightening or if you are worried about attracting negative energies – then don’t try to get in contact with the spirit world. If you are invited to a séance, say no.
If you know someone who you know is scared – do not invite that person to a séance.
If you know that it is ok for you to have such contacts, but that you need to protect yourself – then protect yourself.
If you know that you can have such contacts without any special protection – then it is so.
Read more on the topic of fear and protection here.
Different roles when doing Spirit in the glass
Channel. Some in your group might be more psychic than others. If that is the case the energy will most likely primarily go through them and they might be given additional information.
Leader. It is useful to have someone who is good at keeping the group together and get everyone working in the same direction.
Questioner. It is good to send questions through one person, so that you don’t end up asking different questions at once. You can have one person asking the questions or alternate.
Secretary. It is often appreciated that someone has written down the answers you get. Have someone take notes.
Helper on the other side. With time you will find spirit helpers who want to work specifically with you. In many cases it is an old relative or such. They are often good at locating specific spirits that you want to talk to and can keep bad energies away.
How to do it
- Be safe. Do it with people and in a context where you feel safe. Agree to support and be honest with each other, and not to ask questions that you do not want to know the answers to. Work in a state of mind which is good for spiritual work – calm, focused and sober.
- Have several friends along. The more people, the more energy, the easier it is to establish contact with the other side.
- Set aside time and be sure not to be interrupted. Channelling is a nice evening activity, but can be done during all hours. Before you begin you should turn off everything that demands your attention, such as your radio, television, computer and mobile phone.
- Create a suitable atmosphere. I like to dim the lights, have lit candles and clear the table of everything else.
Working with the board
- Place the board on the table.
- Heat the glass over the candle and place it upside down on the start-circle.
- Have everyone place one finger on the glass; I suggest the left index finger.
- Have one person invite the contacts that you want and should have.
- Allow it to come. Sometimes the glass may need a little nudge to get started.
- Have someone take notes.
- End the conversation by simply saying thank you, as you would with an ordinary person.
- If you want to continue you can then invite the next spirit contact. If you want to quit, say thank you, turn the glass over and put out the light.
A few more tips
- If you want to contact the spirit world it is of great benefit to be properly grounded. If you stand firmly you can go much further in your contact.
- A person can be good at receiving messages from the spirit world without actually being able to comprehend or interpret them. I have met several people who have a strong contact and find it easy to hear the messages, but who are confused in their interpretations.
- Scary energies are especially drawn to scared people. It is my experience that such entities are like shadows. They cannot really hurt you, but they can scare you so that you hurt yourself. If you are afraid I think you should refrain from such contacts until you become braver.
- If someone is the main channel, it is common that that person gets tired first, since s/he is supporting with the most energy.
- If you are few participants you can give the glass more energy by placing two fingers on the glass (index and middle finger) or even four fingers (for example, index finger and middle finger of both hands).
- If it feels like the glass is stuck or pressed against the table, try have the participants remove their fingers one at a time. Sometimes a sceptic will block the energy without even being aware of it. When this has happened to me it has been ok for the person to stay in the room, but without touching the glass.
- Add circles for repeated contacts. In this way the spirit does not need to spell out the name, but can simply go to their circle to show who it is.
- Be creative and intuitive when designing your board. I have made many modifications to the original version, some of which have been very good and others unnecessary. Good modifications, for example, have been the circles with smileys and the circles with the words perhaps, irrelevant and both. I added circles for the four elements, but they have been superfluous.